I love decorating my home but when I can decorate my home with a DIY project on the cheap then you are talking my love language. I made this DIY glitter state art for maybe $15 if you add in the cost of the frame, glitter and a piece of scrapbook paper. However, I already had the frame and glitter so all it really cost me was a sheet of scrapbook paper. Score!
I made this DIY glitter state art for maybe $15 if you add in the cost of the frame, glitter and a piece of scrapbook paper. However, I already had the frame and glitter so all it really cost me was a sheet of scrapbook paper. Score!
If you want to make one yourself then gather your supplies and let’s get to creating.
(affiliate link included)
- Scrapbook Paper
- State Outline
- Scissors or Slice Exacto Knife
- Mod Podge or Glue
- Sponge Brush
- Hairspray (optional)
1. Gather your supplies! I found the outline of Tennessee by searching outline images and I am sure you can find any state by doing this as well. We printed ours on regular printer paper. However, after doing the project I would suggest printing it on at least stock paper. The regular paper was a little flimsy after it was mod podged and sprayed with hairspray. I think the thicker stock paper would have worked better.
2. Cut out your state using a pair of scissors or an Exacto knife. If you are working with a state with small notches then I definitely recommend a knife to make the cuts.
3. Apply mod podge or glue to your state outline using the sponge brush. I found using mod podge worked best.
4. While you are allowing the glue to set up, attach your scrapbook paper to your frame. If you are using a frame that fits the scrapbook paper in its entirety you can skip this part but we used a larger frame and attached the paper to the frame’s matte.
5. Shake off any excess glitter and spray the state outline with hairspray. This will set the glitter. Don’t overcoat it because you risk messing up the piece.
6. Now attach the glittered state to the scrapbook paper and close up the frame.
7. Tada… Simple and oh so cute glitter state art.
MESS FREE VERSION!!
Now if you loathe glitter but want this same design then I have a mess-free option for you. Hobby Lobby has gold (and other various colors) glittered foam sheets. Pick you up one of these and then follow the steps to cut out the state and attach it to your scrapbook paper. No messy glitter needed but the same great dazzling look.
If you liked this you might like my other home decor projects as well.
I love comments! Let me know what state you would create a glittered state art in.