Summer break countdown… Already? Yep…I know there are some people who start school late and have a good two months left to go but we are on the down hill slope. My daughter officially has 18 days left until she is a big 3rd grader. She is super excited, not only to be out for summer but to be heading to her granny and papa’s for part of summer break too. Whether you are ready to start the countdown or not today I wanted to share with you a fun activity to do with the kids. A summer break countdown… We have them for Christmas why not summer break. We get just as excited about that around here.
SUMMER BREAK COUNTDOWN CHAIN
- construction paper (any color will do but we picked rainbow colors, you need at least one yellow)
- paper plate
- yellow craft paint
- paint brush
- black sharpie
- Start off by painting your paper plate yellow. No need to dirty up a paint palette or waste an extra plate for the paint. Just pour a little on the plate you will be using and start painting.
- While the paint is drying, cut out strips of construction paper for how many days you have left in school.
- Staple the strips together in a chain. We used rainbow colors and alternated them to look like a rainbow but you could choose all solid color. Whatever your child (or children) want to go with.
- Now that the paper plate should be dry, use your sharpie marker and write out summer break, summer countdown, or just summer. However you want to label your sun.
- Using your yellow piece of construction paper cut out strips for the sun rays. You can either glue these on the back of the plate or do like we did and staple them on. We touched our staples up with a little yellow paint too.
- Staple on your summer break countdown chain.
- The last part is stapling on an extra strip to hang it with.
Hang it up and start counting down!
I honestly cannot believe it is almost the end of the year. This school year went by so fast it seems. I feel like the older my daughter gets the quicker the days are going. I can’t even believe that next year she will be considered the older half of elementary school. One of my nieces is going to be in middle school. That just makes me feel old for sure. Anyways, enough thinking about how old I am getting. I hope you enjoy this fun summer break countdown and have a little crafting with kids fun.
If you enjoyed this Summer Break Countdown post you might also enjoy.
(This post contains affiliate links.)